Monday, March 12, 2018

Her Right Foot by Dave Eggers


To be honest, I thought this was a story about the Statue of Liberty walking across America. Which I think I have seen before. And that would be a little weird. Because the Statue of Liberty walking around is a whole lot concerning. I mean how many people is she crushing under those Grecian sandals? 

No thank you. 

But, good news! This is not that book. I am not sure if it ever was a book or just a nightmare I had once after eating something too rich before bed. 


And it probably is really lovely. 
(Sorry, other author person.)


Anyway, this book is back story of the Statue of Liberty, with a focus on her right foot. 


The story starts in France. With two crazy men. I can't quite understand why they are so crazy in this picture.  


Giant hand and arm


But we just put it together! the workers said. 
That is absurd, they said.
They said all this in French, 
the language of the French,
a people who appreciate the absurd. 


Made out of copper, the statue was originally brown. Over time, it changed to green. 


I love this picture!


Eggers draws everyone's attention to the forward motion of the actual statue. The right foot is raised as though mid-stride. 


Liberty and freedom from oppression are not htings
you get or grant by standing around like some kind
of statue. No! These are things that require action. 
Courage. An unwillingness to rest. 

So of course the Statue of Liberty couldn't stand around being all static. 


The many way people arrived in America



The immigrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment