Tuesday, December 6, 2016

What do you do with an IDEA? by Kobi Yamada & Illus by Mae Besom


Hey there! Listen, I am in the midst of finals week. The struggle is real. Which is why I am being a little slack with blogging. But! the end is in sight. As in next week. One more major (SO MAJOR) paper and I am finis! Woohoo! I already have a long list of fluffy books I am going to devour when I can stop being serious and studious. 

Anyway, this is another lovely book from Clover's Thanksgiving stacks. I have heard great things about this book and it does not disappoint!


The illustrations are very effective--monochromatic, with the idea in color. 


At first, he wasn't sure what to do with his idea that was following him around.  But then he discovered he liked having it around.

But then he discovered he liked having it around. 

So he toted it around with him everywhere. It was a happy burden. 

Notice how the color is increasing as his idea gets bigger? Color. We all need color in our life. And ideas give us that color, people!


(Terrible picture!) 

Then people poke fun at his idea. So he abandons it and goes back to monochromatic life.


But doggone it! It was his idea. Why couldn't he do what he liked with it? So he did. 


I couldn't imagine my life without it.

 And when the idea had free reign, color exploded in his life.  


Ideas make us kings and queens of our world!

I think it is interesting that the idea is back to a tiny little thing. What does this mean? Once we act on an idea, do we become the master of it rather than it being the master of us? Or is that another couple ideas I see hiding right behind him? Does embracing one idea lead us to meet other ideas?

This is such a great book for middle elementary kids!

Aren't the watercolor illustrations so delicate and beautiful?! I really love this book!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to check this one out. Now I definitely must. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do! You will love it! I don't know why I hadn't requested it from my library yet either, but that is a problem easily solved.

      Delete