Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton


This book.... Oh this book. I am pretty sure I will be able to quote this from memory when I am 97 years old. If I don't have Alzheimer's that is. Although sometimes your brain reverts to childhood, so maybe Barnyard Dance would be relatively safe....? 

Actually, I was a teenager before this book became a part of my life. Someone bought it for my little sisters and we read it over and over. By the time I had my own kids, ten years later, this book had not diminished its appeal for kids. My kids loved this book. Particularly Gilbert. We read it a thousand times.  


As you can tell from the condition of our copy. Well used.


It is so rhythmic and rhyming. 


And if you are feeling energetic (except who ever feels energetic after parenting a toddler (and his siblings) all day? Don't worry, You can read this book through a sleep depraved stupor.) you can act out the words a bit. 


Seriously. If you have never read this to a little kid, you might want to make sure it happens as soon as possible. 


This is toddlerhood--right here. Between some happy little board book pages.


You really can't beat Sandra Boynton for outrageously fun books to read aloud. Sometimes it has taken me a few reads to really get the rhythm of a particular book, but once you have it, you've got it. 


Look how ridiculously happy the cow and horse/donkey are about dancing together!


As soon as I read the last line, I slam the book shut. Not sure why, it is just what I do. Before immediately reopening it to a chorus of "One more time, Mummy!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment