Friday, March 4, 2016

Where's Waldo by Martin Handford


Pretty sure everyone knows Waldo. Did you know he is Wally in the UK where he was created? For each region the book was printed in, they gave him a more localized name. I am scratching my head over how "Waldo" is more American than "Wally." 

Waldo is fantastic. The kind of book you can spend hours and hours with. The pictures are good enough that even when you can't find Waldo, they are worth looking at. 

Waldo was a big part of my childhood. As I said yesterday, I loved details. And Martin Handford does delightful details in wholesale quantities. 


Endpapers. Clearly, I have a thing for endpapers.


The first page of the first Waldo book. Deceptively easy looking. 


There is so much to see. 


Waldo's world is very accident prone. 


I love all the pictures interacting with the museum patrons.

 The silliness and humor in Handford's pictures is a large part of Waldo's continued appeal. 


A very crowded inlet.


An amusement park that is about to be hit with about 14 liability lawsuits. 

2 comments:

  1. I introduced my students to Where's Waldo this year. I realized they didn't know who he was (what a crime) when a boy came to school with a red and white striped shirt and I said, "Hi Waldo." He looked at me blankly. I took care of that little problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are righting the wrongs of today's culture! :-) We had so much fun with Waldo when we were kids!

      Delete