Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton


I adored this book when I was little. And to be honest, I still adore it. I love the drifted in telephone poles, the swirling snow, the aqua and the red, and, of course, Katy. 

Katy, who saves her entire town. 


And this, is the city of Geoppolis, Katy's hometown. I love this map. And all the tiny little depictions of each location. Tiny little things delight me. 


Note the piggery at the top left. I just like the name--piggery. 


All the other snow plows get plenty of exercise through the winter.


Katy, being so strong and powerful, has to sit and do nothing through all the little snows of the winter. But when a real humdinger of a storm comes through, Katy is there with bells on. 

She is the Rudolph the red nosed reindeer of snowplows. 


Everyone is snowed in. So Katy clears the road for them. 


I love the compass roses she has sprinkled throughout. 


Elsie is fascinated with the fire picture. She likes to turn back to this page after the book is done and settle in for a good discussion on every aspect of this picture. 


And then, Katy's triumphal march home with everyone she saved following her. 

Katy is a perfectly satisfying heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment