Thursday, January 21, 2016

Frosty the Snowman Comparison Malvern and Thornburgh


I am going to take a chance that everyone knows Frosty the Snowman, so I will skip the story line for these books. Ha! 


For this 1950 Little Golden Book, Annie North Bedford adapted the brand spanking new song into a story for kids, complete with pictures by Corinne Malvern. 


Corinne Malvern is an artist whose work just screams vintage-y delight. The kids are all fresh faced and rosy cheeked and the colors are bright. 


I grew up with this book on the bookshelf, so I have a particular fondness for Malvern's illustrations. 


They are sweet aren't they?


My quibble with this book is that it doesn't have the song. It yakkity yaks a story about Frosty. It is a nice story about Frosty, not too wordy and interesting to kids, but I sort of miss the song. 



The epitome of Frosty-ness. 


On the other hand, this Frosty came to life one day fifty three years later in 2003. The pictures are updated; the kids are dressed in modern clothing, their is greater diversity in the kids, and the pictures are more cartoon-ish.


While I miss the sweet Malvern illustrations, I do love straight lyric books. The kids all know Frosty as a song, so by George, they want a song. Especially Gilbert, who is a song book fanatic. 


And these pictures are rather sweet too. I love the little birdie in a stocking cap. 



Both are darling books. But for pure fun of reading (or singing), I have to say I like the 2003 version best. 

But you can bet your boots I am not getting rid of the 1950 version. Because it is totally adorable and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment